I decided to get a tail tidy for my bike to reduce weight and make the rear look a bit neater. So after searching on the net for a few days, I bought a R&G tail tidy for the KTM Duke 125/200 on ebay from RideOnDirect for ~US$ 158.
I installed it last Sunday, but found that the process wasn’t completely hassle-free, so I’m writing about it to let other KTM Duke 125/200 owners learn from my experience.
After paying for it using Paypal, it was shipped within 2 days and about 2 weeks later, arrived at my office. That explains their 99.7 positive rating on eBay.
No complaints here and the shopping experience was pretty smooth.
The package came with English and French instructions and was acceptable in clarity (not super clear). The pictures were pretty small and were in black-and-white. I think if you use my pictures together with the instructions, you’ll have a much easier time.
So starting with the first step, I removed my seat and the 8 screws and bolts for the under-tray.
The next step was to disconnect all the electrics – left and right turn signal, brake light and license plate illumination light. All male-female connectors were colour matched, so it was all very clear. However, if yours are not, write them down or take a photo before disconnecting so you can refer to them later.
I recorded the colours for your reference
- License plate illumination light – Red
- Left and Right signal lights – Green and Grey
- Brake light – White
Next, I unscrewed and removed the brake light shroud from the bike, and all four lights from the shroud. They all came off pretty easily. So far, all this took all of 15 minutes.
To start transferring the lights over to the new shroud, I decided to test fit the brake light on the new shroud first.
This is where I noticed a problem; the brake opening for the new shroud did not quite fit the light. It was too small and the edges were different angles from the light. This caused the screws to be unable to sit properly in the screw holes.
Since I didn’t have a Dremel tool or file at home, I had to use sand-paper to file the edges out to enlarge the opening. (Note to self, buy a file or a Dremel tool in future). This was very tedious and took me about 60 minutes.
After an hour, I managed to get the light to sit in the opening. I purposely took more time here because I didn’t want to accidentally remove too much material.
When I finally managed to get the brake light in, I then realized that all the filing had caused the light to shift to the right and sit higher. So I had to drill and enlarge the bracket holes (using a hand drill) in order to mount the light.
The tail tidy comes with its own license plate illumination light which has more closely spaced mounting screws than the original, so you will not be able to use the KTM original.
The new illumination light also has different connectors (why didn’t they sell it with the same one?) so I cut the red connector from the original illumination light and spliced it on to the new light.
That’s when I realized the hole for the wire to pass through was too small for the red connector. (If the manufacturers knew this before-hand, why didn’t they design it with a bigger hole??)
I did more drilling to enlarge the hole for the connector to pass through.
The right and left indicators went on without any additional modification (thankfully), and after 90 mins, I transferred all the lights on to the new shroud.
I thought installing the new shroud and under-tray on the bike would be a 10 minute affair, but I was wrong.
The shroud went on to the bike with no problems, but the new under-try was not well-designed – it was it was bigger than the original – and did not sit flush in under-tray channel.
I had to mark out the protruding plastic areas with a marker, file them down slightly, and then test fit it again. It took me 3 ‘file-test fit-remove-refile’ efforts before the under-tray finally fit the bike. Time taken ~ 60 minutes.
So what’s the conclusion?
The R&G after-market tail tidy is definitely not a drop-in fit on the KTM Duke 125/200.
The brake light shroud is too small for the brake light, and the shape and angles of the opening also do not fit the existing brake light well. It has to be filed to fit.
The under-tray also doesn’t fit the bike properly and needs to be filed to fit.
All this modification turned what should have been a 30 minute job into a tedious 3 hour installation for me. If you’ve got a Dremel tool, you would probably save some time, but I imagine you would still take about 90 minutes or so.
Another thing is that all this filing causes the fit of the items not to be a good as the original, you get fairly large gaps in the brake light shroud and the under-tray also doesn’t fit snugly in the channel.
I’ll email R and G with my feedback and post an update if they reply.